DW Bistro

June 6th, 2012 by Erik Chudy

get ready for it!DW Bistro is one of my favorite non-burger joints in town; I’ve never had a bad meal there and love everything about the place. There are so many great things to try each time between the regular items and the specials that the burger near the bottom of the menu has never crossed my mind. A friend recently tried it and has been raving ever since, so it was during a recent visit with some friends that I caved and decided to give it a try. Did mixing my burger business with some of my favorite local eats work out ok?

cool spotFor a local strip mall restaurant, DW is surprisingly cool inside; it’s very clean with white walls, floors and furniture, highlighted with orange ceilings and some brightly colored artwork. I was definitely impressed the first time I went and I’m still happy every time I’m there. As I said earlier the menu has some great items with its Caribbean inspired flavors like Jamaican curries, jerk rubs and one of my favorites the New Mexican-style slow cooked pork. The lunch and dinner menus vary slightly, and their brunches are excellent. I compel you to get to the bottom of the glass of your bottomless mimosa before one of their waiters comes by to refill it.

tasty!But today is a special occasion, and it’s time to talk about their burger which is available on both their lunch and dinner menus: a New Mexican-style green chili cheeseburger topped with jalapeno bacon. As expected it was fantastic. The meat had great flavor, although not cooked medium rare as I had ordered. But the burger wasn’t dry because of all the amazing cheese and sauce on top of it. The lettuce and tomatoes were great; they almost reminded me of a po boy you’d find in the south. The bun was soft, great and proportioned perfectly to the meat. The green chilies were fantastic, and the bacon was thick, crispy and delicious with a hint of heat. Overall this was an excellent burger, and should have been expected from a place where I’ve already loved everything I ordered.

The sweet potato fries are among the best I’ve had; cooked just right and not soft and undercooked as they can often be. They had excellent flavor and were seasoned perfectly. The accompanying aioli was sweet and delicious. DW Bistro is already a place I recommend to friends looking for a great off the strip restaurant, but now I can also include it in the small list of burgers I hold in high regard in Las Vegas. While some meals for two can quickly get a bit expensive here, this burger for $10 is a great deal and well worth the visit.

Overall score: 92

DW Bistro on Urbanspoon

8 Responses

1. Tath says:

Awesome everything!!!!!!!

2. Jeri says:

The atmosphere reminds of SanFransico. The plate presentation is exquisite and the food full of flavor, always such a treat. The kind of place you take friends or family you want to impress.

3. lorri payton says:

i love dw bistro! best burgers, best everything!!!!

4. cammy says:

dw bistro is the best burger and best everything

5. Lina Fox says:

Your tastebuds must suck! 4 of the high rated places have CLOSED Beware having this loser in your burger joint. He gives no real food critique it is vague and poi intless. And I feel a loss of 5 minutes of my life wasted on this site.

6. Melinda says:

Lina,
    Your spelling and grammar suck as bad as your taste buds. Feel free to move on to another site….
    DW Bistro has the best burgers I’ve ever tasted…That is a fact!!! According to the poll, hundreds (soon thousands) of other people agree with me!!
    Keep serving up the awesome food, Dalton and Bryce… and I’ll keep going back for more!!

7. Bigshotbob says:

Every time I’m in town for work I make sure to see what VBB recommends regarding burgers and since this place just won, I thought I would check it out. The place is very nice, I liked the decor. The staff was extremely cool.
    Travis my waiter was engaged and he made it a very nice experience. I scored too as they were offering 2 free beers from Frank Thomas’ (baseball player) new beer along with any burger order. Travis made sure to mention the fact that their burger won the best burger award from VBB. As for the burger, I don’t think it’s one of the best I’ve ever had. It was very good but definitely not sublime, something you would expect from the best burger in Vegas. Perhaps it was the oversized tomato, I’m not sure. I was expecting more I guess. Thanks for doing what you’re doing. I envy your work! With all these burgers you eat, check your cholesterol too!

• Erik Chudy says:

Thanks for checking in as often as you do and more importantly valuing my opinion! as for the tournament, not to downplay DW Bistro’s quality at all, it came down to a popularity contest more than who necessarily had the best burger. I try to work out at least 3-4 times a week to hopefully counter some of what I eat on a regular basis. Feel free to ask for recommendations whenever you come to town!